Life well dressed

Matteo's Birth Story-Part 1

Apr 18, 2018


šŸ’™ My Matteo, November 14, 2017 šŸ’™


 (Sorry for the low quality of these pics, these were me taking pics of pics on the computer before I got yelled at for copyright infringement)

A little back story before the action…I was blessed with an easy and hassle-free pregnancy. When I hit the 8th month mark, I felt like a waddling bowling ball and was over it! Well around the 9th month I got the worst swollen feet and my blood pressure was super high for me (I’m normally vampire level) so my doctor put me on bed rest on Friday, November 10th saying if my blood work came back funky they would induce that weekend and treat it as a pre-eclampsia risk. My due date was the 21st, but I didn’t mind one bit. The weekend came and went without a problem in my blood work, then Monday the 13th my girlfriend who recently moved here from Hawaii for medical school came to my house and brought me lunch, DiBella’s subs, which I could only eat a half of and no chips or cookie (so unlike me) because there was literally no more room left in my stomach. She got up to leave around 2 and started talking to my dad and while I was standing there watching them, I started to feel some minor cramping but didn’t think anything of it because a.) I was in some sort of physical pain all the time at that point, and b.) it wasn’t normal period-like cramping but more like my stomach didn’t agree with my food. She ended up leaving at 2:30 and I told my dad I was going to try and lay down upstairs. Well, jokes on me because I kid you not within 10 minutes I started having full-on contractions!  I started timing them on my phone, and then I got on the floor, I leaned over the bed, I did fetal position, anything to ease the pain. Surprisingly I didn’t freak out, but I texted my mom who at that time worked about 40 minutes away “I think I’m having contractions” and she said “on my way!” Now, I already had my bag packed for about a month and already in my car with the car seat because I’m such a planner, so while waiting for my mom (who made it home in 25 freaking minutes!) I got in the shower because I heard that while you labor at home for the early stages warm water helped ease the pain. Well it did help and I never wanted to get out. I called the hospital to tell them my contractions were about 4-5 minutes apart and lasted around a minute to two and they gave me the green light to come on in. It was about 4:30 by the time we got there.

Let me also inform you that up until this point in my life I was the BIGGEST baby you would ever meet. Like the most anxious, hypochondriac, squeamish baby. Being pregnant was my dream but also my greatest fear, and let me tell you, now I don’t even blink an eye at a needle! It’s amazing how much stronger I am than I ever gave myself credit for. So we get to the hospital and by this point I can no longer physically walk, so my mom helps me in a wheelchair and we are trying to find the elevator that goes directly to the maternity floor and we forgot which one it was so here was my mom (bless her heart for dealing with me because I lose patience real fast and I was a’ snappin!) wheeling me back and forth and here’s me yelling at this group of guys loitering in the hall and not caring a very-pregnant biotch in a wheelchair is coming through. We eventually get up there, get checked in, and put in triage (which is like a holding room when you first get there in the early stages of labor before you get your labor room) and then an hour later we got into my labor room. The doctor said I was only 2 centimeters dilated at this point and we could be in for a long night, so they wanted to start me on the Pitocin. During the whole time I was very nervous, but also surprisingly calm through the contractions. I can’t even begin to explain what they feel like, it was unlike I ever imagined but I will be totally honest here, they weren’t completely dreadful! They came and went so quickly and I got my epidural before the really painful ones started so it wasn’t that bad. The one thing I was the most nervous about overall was the epidural because it’s such a serious thing and I have heard so many different tales about the pain they cause, its weird sensations after, the side-affects, etc. While they were prepping my back area, I asked my nurse (I had the best nurses ever during my stay) if I was the biggest baby they have ever seen and she said, “well no, but you are the most nervous I’ve seen” Yay! The epidural was over before I knew it, and I never felt a thing! By this time it was getting late and my doctor checked on me once more and said I still hadn’t progressed but no worries, get some sleep and they will keep monitoring me. Sleep? Yeah right, too nervous for that!! My mom stayed in my room with me every second since we got there so she slept on the couch and I pulled up the hypno-birthing audio recordings I found on YouTube, put my headphones in and laid there in a twilight sleep listening to that all night. I did a lot of studying about hypno-birthing while pregnant because I wanted to try a therapeutic way to relax myself and I wasn’t having any of the Lamaze crap. I was skeptical, but I needed to relax, so I will be forever thankful to YouTube for recommending those for pregnant women in labor. At this point too I was so paranoid that I would have a long labor and end up getting a C-section because I heard that was so common with women who were put on Pitocin and then don’t get anywhere. Well the next morning about 9 am the doctor came in to check me and he goes “oh my gosh”. Ummmm?! What’s going on doc? He said I must have really relaxed and let my body work because I was almost 9 centimeters dilated and that we would have a baby within a couple hours!! I couldn’t believe it. 

At 11 am on the nose, I started pushing with the help of my amazing nurse, 2 doctors and my mom by my side. Let me tell you, they call it labor for a reason! Not that I felt anything, the doctors said I must have gotten a really good epidural because I felt NOTHING, not one freaking thing! But, the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life was hold my breath for ten long seconds, three times in a row without stopping. More times than I can count I kept saying “I can’t do this, I can’t do this” and my team of ladies was so relaxed and encouraging. We were cracking jokes in between pushes and only 1 hour and 50 minutes later I hear “he’s here! Look down! Amanda, look at your baby!!” I looked down and touched this quiet, slimy babe with a head full of brown hair and I absolutely couldn’t believe it. Most surreal moment of my life. I was exhausted and so thankful that everything turned out ok that I now wish I could turn back to that moment and live it over again just to fully appreciate it! As I type this, I have tears in my eyes, my heart feels like its bursting and I’m watching a sleeping baby boy on the monitor and I know it’s so typical and clichĆ©, but there really is no love like this. This connection is something I have wondered if it true my whole life and was eager to see one day. Well its true people! Everything they say about the love between a mother and her child is so true!! I could type novels about how blessed and thankful I feel for a healthy baby. It’s also true what they say about moms forgetting labor that’s why they go on to have more kids. Here’s a story, while I was in triage, one of my best friends Nicole texted me and asked “how’s your vagina? Are you alive still?” and I texted her back “I feel like an f-ing watermelon is about to drop out. Never, ever, do this!!” Now? Hell yeah I would do it all over again!

So my labor and delivery was a breeze thank God. What came next was something that I could’ve never imagined in my lifetime, and something that haunted me for a while after giving birth. I will write that novel next post, so stay tuned!
Xo,
Amanda





DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS